News Flash Home
The original item was published from 1/31/2014 3:20:58 PM to 2/15/2014 12:05:03 AM.

News Flash

Home

Posted on: January 31, 2014

[ARCHIVED] City of Nacogdoches Main Street Program making big changes in 2014...


The City of Nacogdoches Main Street Program advisory board recently reviewed their program of work which focuses on the four points of the Main Street approach- Design, Organization, Promotion and Economic Restructuring. With recent success of events like Wine Swirl, and continued decreases in Sales Tax and HOT, and recent successes the Main Street Advisory Board with the support of the City Council has some big changes in store for 2014. “We want to focus our efforts on events that generate business for our downtown merchants, bring in additional sales tax revenue and generate overnight stays in Nacogdoches,” said Main Street Director Sarah O’Brien. “I know that change can be difficult but these decisions have been considered carefully by staff, board members and city administration and we are excited about the direction that Main Street is headed.”

This spring Main Street will replace its annual Music to Lunch By event. The Main Street Advisory Board will now be focusing their efforts on hosting a “Berry Vine Evening,” on Saturday June 14th following the 25th Annual Texas Blueberry Festival. “We wanted to create an event that will give festival goers a reason to stay the night in Nacogdoches, and a Berry Vine Evening will deliver just that,” said O’Brien. Various downtowners will host a progressive dinner showcasing some of Texas' best "Berry" wines. Only 200 tickets will be sold. Tickets will be $15 and ONLY available during the 25th Annual Texas Blueberry Festival at the Visitor's Center, 200 E. Main Street. “We hope to capture out of town attendees the day of the Festival, to extend their stay in Nacogdoches,” said O’Brien.

More big changes are in store for Main Street’s fall event lineup with the announcement that the City of Nacogdoches Main Street Program will no longer be hosting its annual Scare on the Square celebration. Scare on the Square was started over 15 years ago to bring children and their parents downtown and into the merchants doors, as well as provide a safe alternative to trick or treating. The event has evolved into a large scale festival attracting 70+ vendors and over 8,500 attendees. Because of the growth of the event safety has become difficult to manage. "Unfortunately due to the nature of the event as it sits today not only does the event not generate additional revenues for our merchants, it in fact has begun to hurt some downtown business owners ,” said O’Brien.

“We are excited about the other fall events,” said O’Brien. The SFASU Cole Art Center Cole launched its inaugural “Dia de los Muertos” event last year and drew in almost 700 attendees. Main Street staff is currently exploring with the Friends of the Visual Arts to expand that event and include a family friendly component the Friday evening before the event with free children’s activities. That Saturday a costume parade would take place prior to the “Dia de Los Muertos” street festival in historic downtown. “There is no such similar celebration anywhere in East Texas and we are confident that by partnering together on a unique event we will be able to draw attendees in from outside of our area and generate new business in our community,” said O’Brien.

Main Street staff has also partnered with the Nacogdoches Jaycees to host a late fall event, called Boots & Brew on September 27th. The event will feature a fabulous live entertainment lineup, food, and spirits along the historic downtown square. More details about both fall events will be released as we get closer to the event dates.

For questions about any of the changes mentioned above please contact Main Street Director, Sarah O’Brien at 936-559-2573 or obriens@ci.nacogdoches.tx.us

Facebook Twitter Email