- Your Government
- Boards & Commissions
- Mayor’s Committee on People with Disabilities
Mayor’s Committee on People with Disabilities
COMPOSITION: Eleven (11) members
TERM: Two (2) years
CITY DEPARTMENT: City Secretary
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Mayor’s Committee on People with Disabilities (NMCPD) envisions a community dedicated to inclusion of citizens at whatever level of ability they possess. The mission of the NMCPD is to keep City Council advised of living conditions and needs of people with disabilities in the community and to further opportunities for people with disabilities to enjoy a life of independence, productivity, and self-determination. NMCPD is an affiliate of the Texas Governor’s Committee on People with Disabilities and operates at the discretion of City Council. The committee objectives are to:
- Promote better public understanding concerning needs and contributions of persons with disabilities;
- Promote increased enjoyment of workers with disabilities on a year-round basis;
- Encourage retention and advancement of those workers presently employed;
- Develop better understanding by persons with disabilities of services available to them;
- Encourage persons with disabilities to use these services;
- Remove all architectural barriers; and
- Promote participation in community life by people with disabilities.
The committee shall meet at least four times per year. Regular meetings are held every three months in March, June, September and December. The committee may meet more often if needed. Currently, the committee meets monthly on the 2nd Thursday at 1:00 p.m.
BRAZOS TRANSIT DISTRICT SERVICES:
Website for information on Brazos Transit District transportation service.
CAREERS FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES:
If you have a physical, mental, or cognitive impairment or disability that makes employment difficult for you, the Texas Workforce Solutions may be able to assist in the areas of preparing, finding, maintaining or advancing in your career. Check out the link below:
HIRING PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES:
Get help recruiting, hiring, retaining and accommodating employees with disabilities visit Texas Workforce Commission online at the link below: