- Your Government
- Boards & Commissions
- Main Street Advisory Board
Main Street Advisory Board
Twelve (12) members
Three (3) years
Each board member should have or provide one or more of the following:
- A demonstrated interest in Nacogdoches Main Street’s purpose and its goals.
- Specific experience in and/or knowledge of preservation, tourism development, fundraising, administration, finance, advertising, public relations, communications, marketing, nonprofit development, or economic development.
- 4-10 hours per month of available time outside of board meetings.
- Be a member of the Friends of Main Street Program
A responsible advisory board member:
- Supports board decisions and the Main Street Manager, even when he or she may disagree with the majority decision.
- Understands the mission & vision of the Main Street Program and promotes its goals and activities to his or her own constituent groups and to the community as a whole.
- Attends the majority of board meetings.
- Attends as many special events and fundraisers as possible including Main Street Merchant Meetings and Get to know your downtown neighbor
- Contributes knowledge, financial resources or labor to Nacogdoches Main Street.
- Respects the need for the Main Street Manager to report to only one “boss.”
- Offers opinions honestly, without reservation and in a constructive way.
- Does not commit more time to the Main Street program than he or she can realistically afford.
- Delegates responsibilities to committees when appropriate.
- Promotes unity within the organization and seeks to resolve conflicts.
- Encourages orderly, systematic and incremental implementation of Main Street program’s work plan discouraging the board from being distracted by secondary issues or projects not included in the program’s annual agenda.
- Encourages staff and other board members to express their opinions openly in board meetings.
- Is loyal to the program and honors his or her commitment to it.
- Takes responsibility of his/her position on the board and takes appropriate action if life situations alter his/her time commitment.
- Recruit additional Friends of Main Street