Building Standards Commission
Six (6) regular members and two (2) alternate members
To the extent possible, members of the Building Standards Commission should be qualified in one or more fields of fire prevention, building construction, sanitation, plumbing, electricity, mechanical systems, engineering, architecture or public health. Failure to be qualified in any of said fields shall not prevent or disqualify a person from sitting on the commission.
TERMS: Two (2) years
CITY DEPARTMENT: Inspection Services
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:The purpose and responsibilities of the commission shall include:
- Hear appeals of decisions and interpretations of the building official;
- Hear appeals of decisions and interpretations of the fire marshal regarding City fire code;
- Consider or grant variances for special conditions and periodically review construction and fire codes;
- Suspend building trade licenses issued by the City for due cause;
- Hear appeals of decisions and interpretations of the city engineer regarding City’s driveway access policy;
- Make recommendations to City Council pertaining to minimum construction, fire code safety standards and amendments; and,
- Make recommendations to City Council pertaining to condemning of dilapidated structures.
In addition, the Commission shall be the successor to all authority, responsibility and functions as set out in any and all ordinances of the City of Nacogdoches previously exercised by the Building Code Board of Adjustments and Appeals, Plumbing Appeals and Advisory Board, Heating/Air Conditioning and Mechanical Refrigeration Board, Board of Electrical Examiners, Fire Prevention Board, and Urban Standards Board of Adjustments and Appeals.
Four (4) members shall constitute a quorum and majority vote of members present is required to take action. To take official action, affirmative votes of the majority of members present shall be required. Meetings are held as needed.