The original building was replaced in 1952 with a larger municipal building. Upon completion of the Gladys Hampton Building, the fire and rescue acquired the balance of the building.
Sounding the Alarm
Initially, pistol shots sounded the alarm and summoned the firemen. Although the gunfire was successful, a bell was chosen as a more appropriate means of alert. The first bell was purchased in 1908 from the Baptist church. It was placed on top of the Perkins Building on the north side of the square – the former home of Kennedy’s Jewelry. Reportedly, the bell was sometimes rung by gunshot.
In 1910, the first fire marshal was appointed to conduct inspections and investigations related to fires. Early firefighters were both paid and volunteer. Historic insurance maps identify paid drivers as early as 1910.