The Comprehensive Plan Update is a major effort to consider recent growth, current trends, and best practices, and to define updates to the city’s policies to guide the next 20-30 years. The city is committed to updating its policies to address the issues of today and prepare for those that may arise. The process is an opportunity to consider our city’s direction in light of current trends and community values and is an effort to proactively address topics that are important to you.
This plan will be a tool the community will use, to guide future growth in an appropriate and desired way, improving the quality of life of residents. They'll help plan growth over the years and guide our city into the much needed improvements while maintaining its small town charm, which we all love. The process will result in the development of a new Comprehensive Plan.
The process will last about 12-18 months and will include multiple opportunities for community input. The process will address topics important to you that will shape the community for years to come. No one knows the community like those who live or work in Nacogdoches. Share your ideas and feedback to ensure that the city’s direction represents the authentic voice of the community.
If you would like to receive future updates and the process and the studies, visit the sign up for our email list here.
Questions? Comments? We want to hear from you! Please visit the COMMENT page where you can leave general comments, questions, or sign up for our email list to receive future updates on the planning process and studies.
The Public Forums Survey is now closed. We received a total of 238 survey responses, which are now available for viewing. To view the responses grouped by “Question” please click here , or you can view the responses grouped by “Respondent” by clicking here
PUBLIC FORUMS • JUNE 7 & 8
The City of Nacogdoches hosted two public forums on June 7th and 8th to explain how this process will work as it moves forward. City staff shared information to the purpose of these plans, and where we are in the planning process with our leaders, and attending community members had the opportunity to ask questions about these studies. The attendance at the meetings drew approximately 165 and 155 people each evening respectively.
Once the project officially kicks off we will have a series of public engagement activities at locations throughout Nacogdoches to gather your thoughts and concerns about the community's land use and transportation growth patterns. The fun, informative format will encourage you to share ideas at a session most convenient to your schedule. We will announce the times and locations once we begin the process.
- Comprehensive Plan Steering Committee - City staff is proposing that a steering committee be appointed for the Comprehensive Plan Update. This committee is intended to be a diverse group of residents appointed to serve as community advocates for the update, to provide guidance and direction regarding the process and substance, and to serve as stewards of the plan once completed. The committee may consist of representatives from City Council, from the Planning & Zoning Commission, and citizen representatives. If you are interested in serving on this committee, or know citizens that might be interested in applying please direct them to this link: www.nactx.us/committee. **The deadline for submitting applications is Friday, June 25th at 5:00pm.**
- Stakeholders - Various stakeholder groups will be convened to inform specific aspects of the vision. These groups include business leaders, neighborhood associations, real estate professionals and developers, education professionals, students, and young professionals, among others.
- Public - Widespread community participation is vital to Comprehensive Plan success. Various in-person workshops and online tools will offer more ways for the community to give input throughout the process.
- City Staff - City staff will support and help coordinate the work of all other groups and their local knowledge and expertise.
- Elected officials - The mayor and council will monitor the process and the resulting community vision, recognizing that success should be independent of the city’s elected leadership.
- Consultants - The City will select a consultant to facilitate the process and share their experience from working with other successful communities.
- City Council Meetings
- June 8th Meeting Video
- Other Studies & Plans
For questions regarding the Comprehensive Plan Update process, contact Alaina Chafin, City Planner at 936-559-2572 or firstname.lastname@example.org